==> SHORTCUT TO THIS PAGE: http://bit.ly/sreesoc <==
I am constantly updating, editing, adding to this list. Your feedback, suggestions and tips welcome, sree[at]sree.net or via @sree - mention this page.
-> MY WRITING GIG: SreeTips, a blog about social and digital media, on CNET News. Your tips, story ideas, interview suggestions, critiques all welcome.
SAMPLE TWEET: Newish @CNETNews blog by @sree - all social, all the time: http://cnet.co/sreetips #sreetips
-> MY PRESENTATIONS:
-> EMARRASSINGLY NICE NYT ARTICLE BY @NYT_JenPreston: "When Twitter is a Work Necessity"
-> WELCOME, READWRITE READERS: Think Before You Tweet, and Other Good Advice From the Experts, by @CopeWrites
FIVE LATEST ADDITIONS BELOW:
BELOW: Handouts, tip sheets & reading material | My technology columns | Change your media diet | Social media and job hunting | LinkedIn guides | Facebook guides | Foursquare guides | Google+ guides | Pinterest guides | Twitter guides and articles
==> Be sure to checkout my workshops - in-person and via webcast, including archived recordings: http://bit.ly/sreeworkshops
- SOCIAL MEDIA WEEKEND: Feb 15-17, at Columbia Journalism School - three days of panels, workshops, social-media doctors, social media headshots and more. http://bit.ly/smwknd #smwknd
- NYC: Smarter Social Media, four-night course over two months, March 14-May 2, 2013 - all levels welcome. http://bit.ly/cjsm2013a #cjsm
- NYC & ONLINE: Social Media One-night Stand - advanced social media workshop, Thursday, May 16, 2013. http://bit.ly/cjsm2013b #cjsm
- email me to get on the mailing list: firstname.lastname@example.org
Testimonials from two Pulitzer Prize winners, @NickKristof of NYT & @MorinToon of MiamiHerald - follow ‘em!
==> SOCIAL MEDIA SUCCESS FORMULA: Make sure every one of your tweets, FB postings, etc, has at least one of these attributes (it you can do more, even better; if you can do seven or more in a single posting, let me know and I’ll tell the world!)…
- occasionally funny
==>What social media can do for media pros and others:
- find new ideas, trends and sources
- connect with readers and viewers in new ways
- bring eyeballs, traffic and attention to their work
- help them create, craft and enhance their brands
If you’d like to be on my monthly e-mail with new tips, workshop listings, etc: sree[at]sree.net
Prof. Sree Sreenivasan
NEW: Chief Digital Officer, Columbia University
Professor, Columbia Journalism School
Twitter: @sree | Twitter.com/sree
Facebook: Facebook.com/sreetips | Facebook.com/sreenet
==> Hope you will connect with me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/sree and on my new Facebook page at http://facebook.com/SreeTips (I post only tech tips and job leads there) and on LinkedIn page at http://linkedin.com/in/sreenivasan (I accept invitations from people I know; people I should know; people I’d like to know).
HANDOUTS, TIP SHEETS & READING MATERIAL:
- Syllabus and notes for my five-week Social-Media Skills for Journalists course at Columbia: http://bit.ly/socmediaskills (created with @AAdamGlenn and now also taught by @Lavrusik, @NYT_JenPreston @ZSeward and @TCPuente)
- My Twitter Guide for Newbies & Skeptics: http://bit.ly/twitterideas
- My Poynter column on the rise of social-media editors at news orgs around the country: http://bit.ly/sssocmed
- My Mashable essay, video and slides (co-written with then-student Vadim Lavrusik, @lavrusik, on traits of the future journalist: http://bit.ly/sreefuture
- BBC tells news staff to embrace social media - or leave: http://bit.ly/9qyl5h
- Mashable on how journalists are using social media today: http://bit.ly/bAId0q
- 15 reasons Twitter matters to news organizations, by @ARusbridger, editor-in-chief of @Guardian
- @SteveButtry on why entrepreneurial journalists need to master social media
- Useful stats about social media, from LukeW
- 25 amazing social-media infographics, collected by WebDoctus
- @webjournalist & @facebookmedia's presentation on intermediate social media
- @lavrusik on how investigative journalism is prospering in the age of social media: http://on.mash.to/hvB0ZL
- How to promote your offline events using social media: http://bit.ly/bxWCsQ
- NYT’s Carol Vogel on museums pursue social-media engagement
- Emarketer on older Facebook users catching up on LIKES
- @Econsultancy’s collection of 16 social media guidelines of real orgs
- CMO.com’s useful infographic explaining how marketing officers should look at various social media channels’ impact on customer communication; brand exposure; traffic; SEO
- [CASE STUDY] BarnRaiser’s list of 34 case studies that prove the ROI of social media
- [CASE STUDY] How Discovery reached 25m Likes on FB & 1.5m Twitter followers without gimmicks: http://bit.ly/eGcePn
- [CASE STUDY] @Armano’s Four stages of social business, Crawl, Walk, Run, Fly
- [CASE STUDY] Social media sharing increases website traffic +30%. Here’s why
- B2B & Social Media: The 4 Bs of B2B Social Media
- NONPROFITS: @Mad_azn’s 5 social media mythbusters, nonprofit edition
- @BLOchman’s 7 reasons why social media won’t work for your company
- @ReadWriteWeb column: Why most Facebook marketing doesn’t work
- DISCONNECTING: How to disconnect, a primer | The value of jumping off the social media train
MY THOUGHTS ON THE CHANGING MEDIA LANDSCAPE:
In February 2012, I became a freelance blogger for CNET News, writing SreeTips, a blog on social media. You can see the full collection here.
Four lessons from a single successful tweet * 20 biggest tech innovations of my lifetime that I actually use * 8 social-media changes since the 2008 elections *
Hashtags on TV: A right way and a wrong way * 3 Lessons from Linsanity * How to profit from the Storyteller Uprising
From 2009-11, I helped put together DNAinfo.com, a Manhattan hyperlocal site I helped create with Ameritrade founder Joe Ricketts (whose family recently bought the Cubs and Wrigley Field). Here are some of the 100+ columns I wrote for the site.
Six ways journalists (and others) can use Twitter better * Twitter Myths & Misconceptions * Five Things I’ve Learned from Japan Quake | Egypt, Libya, etc * The Geolocation Wars * What a Non-journo Can Teach Journos About Social Media * Twitter Comes of Age. Again * Much Ado About Tweeting * Facebook’s Coming Privacy Changes * Please Stop Oversharing * Identity in the Age of Facebook * Why Profile Photos Matter * Lessons from a Week without Newspapers * Thoughts About Personal Branding * Thoughts About the iPad * Thoughts about Google TV * Thoughts on Six Months of DNAinfo.com | COLUMN EDITOR, @MPVdna
CHANGE YOUR MEDIA DIET (sites you should be reading):
SOCIAL MEDIA & JOB HUNTING/CAREER MANAGEMENT (also see LinkedIn guides below):
LINKEDIN GUIDES (see social media and career management info above):
GOOGLE+ GUIDES & ARTICLES:
PINTEREST GUIDES & ARTICLES:
TWITTER GUIDES & ARTICLES:
BUSINESS & TWITTER:
TWITTER TOOLS/SERVICES TO KNOW:
- HootSuite: my preferred alternative to the (very) popular TweetDeck. Fully web-based; allows post-dated tweets, Facebook and LinkedIn updates; new-to-me features: get previews of all links and photos and see YouTube videos there itself; save drafts
- bit.ly: the best URL shortener because of its access to metrics (see my early review); new-to-me feature: type “http://bit.ly” before any URL in the address bar and it will automagically shorten it for you (my column about bit.ly and lessons from its success)
- FIND NEW FEEDS: Twiangulate: discover who people you follow are following (see my column about Twiangulate) * FollowerWonk * HiveMind (read RRW post, First Miners of the New Social Graph)
- IN A RUSH?
- KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE: TwitterSheep: See what are the common themes among the bios of the folks who follow you (corollary is TweetStats, below)
- TWITTER STATS:
- TRACK YOUR CONTENT:
- KEEP TRACK VIA EMAIL:
- NutshellMail: keep track of FB and Twitter via email
- SocialOomph: get keyword alerts by email
- TweetBeep: get @replies via email
- Feedera: get a digest in your inbox every morning with the best of your feed.
- News.me: a must-have iPad app now has an email version of the best of your Twitter feed.
- TRACK THE UNFOLLOWS:
- TwUnfollow: get notification about who’s unfollowing you - USE WITH GREAT CARE!!!
- ChirpStats: get aggregate stats about new and lost followers
- Who.Unfollowed.Me: get a quick list of everyone you follow who isn’t following you
- MANAGE YOUR FOLLOWEES/FOLLOWERS:
- FriendOrFollow: see who’s following you among those you follow and who you’re note following among those who follow you
- ManageFlitter.com: A terrific way to see specific kinds of followers - those who don’t follow you; those who have no profile picture; those who are inactive, etc, etc.
- Tweepi: sort of a Twitter contact management system
- LISTS: Listorious: best lists in one place | ConversationList: created an automated list of those you most interact with on Twitter | Twitter’s improved Suggested User List (my compilation of social-media editors) | WeFollow’s directory of feeds by category | @JacobShare’s excellent guide on making better use of Twitter lists
- TRENDING TOPICS:
- TRACKING FAVORITES: Favstar: track favorites, ie, who has “favorited” your tweets (mine) | Favorites explained, by Twitter
- MUST DO: BackupMyTweets: get an archive of your own tweets
- PHOTOS & VIDEOS: Twitpic: share photos via Twitter; lots of choices, but the one I use most | Twitcam: instant, live video broadcasts, from the makers of LiveStream.com
- FUN STUFF: A world of Tweets: see tweets on a global scale | OpenHeatMap: see your followers on a map | TweetBookz: tweets (yours or others’) in book form (similar to Blog2Print for blogs) | SocialPrintShop: print collections of your FB friends and Twitter followers | Twilk: your followers as your background image | WhoTechPunditsTweet: tracking tweets by tech pundits (mine) | ArjunBasu & his 140-character stories | HBR on 4 ways to visualize Twitter feeds
GUIDES/RATINGS FOR TWITTER TOOLS
SOCIAL-MEDIA GRAPHICS & VIDEOS
More to come. Your feedback and tips welcome, sree[at]sree.net or @sree.